How harmful is it?
The Effects of Soda on your Teeth
Have you ever seen those videos where someone puts a baby tooth in a glass of soda and watches it decay? Pretty disturbing!
Well, the effect of soda in an actual mouth is a bit different. You have your saliva to help wash away the sugar, you eat other things throughout the day, and brush at least twice a day to remove debris or plaque.
Nevertheless, soda is not something we recommend you consume more often than a once-in-awhile treat.
And here’s why…
Soda has an extremely high sugar content. The bacteria that cause tooth decay feed off of sugar and excrete acid, which is what causes tooth decay.
The more sugar our teeth have to interact with, the more prone to decay they will be.
Think diet soda is a better alternative? Even though it contains zero sugar, it can still contain acids such as phosphoric acid or citric acid. Acid eats away at a tooth’s enamel and leaves it prone to decay.
Caramel color, Yellow 5, etc. Any type of artificial coloring can cause tooth-staining. If you prefer your teeth sparkling white, it’s best to stay away from soda.
TRY THIS INSTEAD
Instead of soda, we recommend spicing up your daily beverages with other alternatives. How about some sparkling water or plain water infused with fresh fruit?
When you do drink soda, make sure to rinse with water afterwards. And, most importantly, drink it in one sitting instead of sipping on it throughout the entire day. This keeps the exposure to your teeth to a minimum! As always, keep up with regular brushing and flossing to protect those precious teeth!